_

atikmdag stopped responding and has recovered


atikmdag stopped responding and has recovered…


Solutions to how to fix the annoying atikmdag error!




Some Additional Software for Upgrade and Testing your System:















A little bit of info on the atikmdag error.
I want to share a little about what I’ve learn from this driver error. The main culprit for me was the Fusion HDTV 5 TV tuner which had a “Power Up” cable that I plugged onto the motherboard. After installing that TV tuner, I’ve started receiving errors while watching movies, but never during games. Once I pulled the “Power Up” cable out, everything was back to normal. Compare this with what others are experiencing, most people get the error while playing WoW (World of Warcraft) or other heavy graphical games. It’s obviously something different that’s causing the problem. My point I’m trying to make is that the atikmdag error isn’t a specific error. It’s a generic error message that applies to most display problems. It’s basically saying “Something caused your video card to crash…” whether it’s ram issues, overheating issues, or simply a bad video card… So there isn’t a single permanent fix, just many fixes for many different causes. Also, it isn’t just an ATI problem, nVidia receives the same error in the form “atikmdag stopped responding and has recovered.” Some people have reported that switching over to ATI seemed to have worked for them. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t matter if you have ATI or nVidia. It worked for them mainly because they had a bad video card and got a new one.

Also, you might be asking: When I install XP, everything is fine, but in Vista, I get this error. This is a sign that the problem most likely doesn’t lie in the hardware, but the software. A fresh format on your computer may do the trick.

Hopefully that explains a lot. I’ll keep you posted.



Method 10: Replacing the old version of atikmdag.sys with an updated copy.
Make sure you have your ATi drivers updated. If you are unsure of what you are doing, make sure to have someone who has experience in modifying system files. Navigate to your C:Windows\System32\drivers (assuming Windows is installed in C: with default path). Look for atikmdag.sys and hover your mouse over it. If this driver version number is different from the latest driver version, it needs to replaced. So what you do is:

1. Download the latest driver version and extract the contents of the .exe file (this should happen when you double click on the .exe, if not, use 7zip to extract it).

2. Rename your current atikmdag.sys file to atikmdag.sys.old.

3. Look for atikmdag.sy_ in the folder where you extracted the latest drivers.

4. Copy atikmdag.sy_ to WindowsSystem32drivers folder.

5. Open command prompt in Administrator mode (start menu->programs->accessories->right click command prompt->Run as Administrator).

6. Navigate to your Windows\System32\drivers folder. (example cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers)

7. Type expand atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

8. Reboot computer.

For most people, this has solved the problem completely. If the problem still exists, don’t worry, this method didn’t work for me either.

Method 9: Remove DreamScene 
I’ve thought I posted this already, but I haven’t. Anyways people have reported that disabling Dreamscene (playing video in the background) will fix the problem. To disable Dreamscene: Goto appearance and personalization in Control Panel. Select Personalization. Select Desktop Background. Select any thing other than Windows Dreamscene Content. Select a background and click Ok. That should disable Dreamscene.


Method 8: Remove unnecessary power.
In my previous solution (method 7) I’ve suggested to remove PCI cards (mainly TV Tuner cards). The problm was not the pci card itself but the external power it needed. There was a connector that I plugged in from my PCI card to the motherboard. When I removed the PCI cards, the power connector was removed. Now I’ve re-added the TV tuner cards without plugging the external power and everything is fine. So check your power plugs and remove any unwanted power!


Method 7: Remove unused PCI cards
I have a FusionHDTV 5 PCI HDTV tuner and a Pinnacle PCI HDTV tuner. I’ve removed both and the error has stopped so far. So try removing all of your PCI cards and see if the error stops. Then add the PCI cards one by one back. If the error comes back, then you’ll know which PCI card is bad.


Method 6: Uninstall KB952287
Apparently after installing this hotfix, many users have experienced the dreadful atikmdag error. To uninstall: control panel -> Programs and Features -> Uninstall KB952287.


Method 5: Hot fixes
There’s a couple of hotfixes available. Some say that this has fixed it for them while others have said it does not work. Try it and post your findings!


Method 4: Use windows default drivers.
This is a personal fix for me, so far I have received way less atikmdag messages. Basically goto your “Programs and Features” and uninstall the ati driver. Then on next reboot, Windows should automatically install the windows default nvidia drivers for your card.


Method 3: Misc fixes.
♦ Downclock your video clock speeds and/or ram speeds.

♦ Try a different set of ram sticks in your computer.

♦ Run memory tests overnight (Google memtest for free memory testing software). I’ve found Prime95 to be quick in finding any bad memory sticks you may have.

♦ Turn off Aero theme (control panel -> Personalize -> Theme -> Windows Classic

♦ Administrative tools > Task Scheduler > Scroll down till you see TMM. Double click ‘TMM’. Right click it and select disable.

♦ Install better cooling solutions to your video card/case.

♦ Right click a shortcut to whatever game you are running -> properties -> compatibility mode -> set it for Windows XP. Then run the game.


Method 2: Windows Update
Now if you aren’t running Windows Vista SP1 and refuse to install it, run this patch. Several users have reported that this patch fixes the issue. This patch is already included the SP1 update however.


Method 1: Setting the time delay before display driver recovery.
This method is a bit more risky since it involves editing your registry so be warned!
1. Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
2. Navigate yourself to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make sure GraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
3. Right click -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

The reason for doing this is because the default value before Vista tries to recover the display driver is 2 seconds. When you are playing games or watching HD videos, the display driver is doing complicated calculations and Vista may think it has stopped responding. By prolonging the delay, you’ll receive the message less often and hopefully completely gone.

UPDATE: I’ve just tried this again. What happen is that my computer would freeze for 10 seconds, then display the message. So if your delay before the message appears has been increased to 10 seconds, I suggest setting the delay to 1 second instead until you find a permanent fix.

UPDATE2: Try turning off the timeout detection:

Regedit.

Navigate to: HKLM System/Current Control/Set Control Graphics Drivers

Add the following DWORD: TdrLevel and set the value to 0.

Reboot.


See this Microsoft support page for more information.
Previous
Next Post »

3 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
February 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM delete

hey there, I dont really agree with what u said above about the "atikmdagsys" error "teal color screen",
My XPS is like 4 yo now, I used to have this bug after 2 years, at first it was every 6 months approximately, then more often, til it becomes weekly, I started to worry and check out the forums french and English and they seem to say it was probably the graphic card which was dieing...so it started to mess up everyday, no troubles, just this damn screen sayin bout this file.
Til today, my comp crashed and there were no way to restart it, display was failing so bad, I had no choice, I removed da graphic card (ATI 4850..) and replaced it with another ATI (had no choice :/ ), since this change, its workin, this atikmgdag sys" bug completely disappear... So its totally an hardware problem, I would even say it became worse since I set up Windows 8 on my comp..on Microsoft forums, there are plenty ppl having this problem actually. (compatibilities..)

It's well known that AMD products arent that fine and reliable.. When I found out I had an ATI Inside my computer few years ago I was already worried... now I know I was right..

so if I could give u a tip, don't waste your time by doing all these steps, just replace and upgrade your graphic card to something reliable... Hardware changed, problem solved...

I'll upgrade my GC with a NVDIA GeForce as soon as possible.... I'm done with AMD/ATI and all their cheap products...

peace,best regards

Reply
avatar
March 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM delete

ATI Radeon interact with Realtech audio driver and causes software conflict which gives blue screen error and ofter restarts computer or laptor when fist time boot the device. Either uninstalling Realtalk driver or changing audio driver to other device it can easily solved. But thats silly thing. Both realktalk and ATI is imp for pc or laptop. You cant avoid this conflict in win XP, win 7 or in Win 8. I think ATI should have give their attention to this matter. I tested this with Gigabyte motherboard and observed the conflict where same ATI card didnt show any trouble on Intel motherboard. So ts nt conventional for sure but really need a permanent solution where its most annoying matter.

Reply
avatar
April 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM delete

Follow this 3 Latest Steps to solve your ATI Radeon AMD video driver problem: http://atikmdagsolve.blogspot.com/2015/04/ati-radeon-amd-bluescreen-at-startup.html

Reply
avatar

Comment Here